QuickBooks Server Configuration
Before continuing with the instructions install these required components first:
Install the QuickBooks Foundation Classes COM Interface
Click here to download the QuickBooks Foundation Classes, and either press Run to download and run the installer, or press Save to save the installer to another location to run later.
Double-click the QBFC13_0Installer.exe file, and follow the prompts through the installation wizard.
Install the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer
Click here to download the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer, and either press Run to download and run the installer, or press Save to save the installer to another location to run later.
You always install the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer on the computer that has QuickBooks. If RPOWER is installed on the file server, and QuickBooks is on an office computer, RFX can be set up to handle the communication. You should not set up the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer to run off a mapped drive like we have done in the past.
Double-click the file to run the installer. After clicking Setup to begin the installation process, you are presented with an Installation Directory screen. Click Browse if you don't want to accept the default path. Click Next, then review the installation information, and click Install to intall the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer. Click Finish to close the importer.
Setup Standalone/Server RFX
Running the RPOWER QuickBooks Installer will have installed RFX for you, but there is a small amount of setup work to be done:
- Navigate to RPOWER.Central\RFX\ini. Create a file called RFXServer.ini.
- The easiest thing to do is to copy the boxed text below, and change it to suit your needs:
[Setup] Server=18.104.22.168:32113 ; standalone RFX -- 32113 is the "standalone" RFX port ServerKey=12345678 Location=HQServer,Name=K3 Scottsdale API=QBCNX,Archive=2
- Change the
Locationto be some unique idenifier for this server. Then change the
Nameto equal a more familiar name for this server. When connecting version 10 stores to this standalone RFX, the id you give the
Locationsetting is important, because that id will go in the RFX.ini file at the store so the store can do an IP lookup. When connecting version 11 stores, what
Nameare set to are not so important because you put the IP address in the
APIline at the store.
- On the
APIline, you may change the
Archivesetting to be the number of days you want RFX to archive export files for. Archived export files are kept in RPOWER.Central\RFX\QBCNX\ServerIn\Archive.
Imprint Store For QuickBooks Desktop
If running the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer on a Windows 8 computer, make sure it is not running with admininistrator permissions.
Run the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer. A blue and white icon with a white "QB" will appear in the Windows Notification Area near the clock.
- Right-click the icon, and click
- Enter the store serial number into the
Store Serial Number:textbox.
- Leave the
Use local QuickBooks databaseradiobutton checked
- Click on the Browse... button to browse to the QuickBooks database file. Be aware that if you are connecting to a QuickBooks database on a different computer than the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer is being installed on AND you are using QuickBooks 2006 or newer, you need to specify the UNC path instead of specifying the mapped drive letter.
- Click OK to close the Browse dialog.
- Open QuickBooks and log into the company file.
- Click Add Store. QuickBooks should pop up a dialog that says $QuickBooks-Application with No Certificate".
- The RPOWER QB Importer generates a random application name for each imprint making it impossible to issue a certificate. Press Yes.
- On the next dialog, ensure
Yes, Always is selected, If you must select a user name for the importer to log into, select $Admin.
- Click Yes. The dialog will close.
- Click Resume in the importer preferences dialog.
Imprint Store for QuickBooks Online Edition (QBOE)
Currently, we recommend that stores using QuickBooks Online should be sending their QB exports to our server. We have the ability to link the store's QB Online database to our RPOWER QuickBooks Importer and perform the imports nightly.
- In the
RPQB Importer Preferencesdialog, enter the store serial number into the $Store Serial Number% textbox.
- Click the
Use QuickBooks Online Edition (QBOE)radio button, if it is not already selected. The Company ID textbox should become enabled when you do this.
- In the
Company IDtextbox, place the QBOE company id, which can be gotten by logging into the QBO database, clicking the gear icon next to the company name, and selecting the
Your Accountoption under the
Your Companyheading. The Company ID appears at the top of the Billing Info tab in green numbers.
- Click Add Store. A web page will pop up with a Connect to QuickBooks Online button in the upper right corner of the page.
- Click the Connect to QuickBooks button. A new browser window will appear with the Connect to QuickBooks wizard inside. Proceed through the wizard. You may need to sign into your QuickBooks Online account and choose the database to which you want to connect the RPOWER QB Importer.
- When done with the Connect to QuickBooks wizard, close the QuickBooks Connection Wizard browser window, and then close the browser window you opened when you clicked the Add Store button in Step 4.
- Click Resume.
Create Desktop Shortcut
The installer does not create any shortcuts. We recommend that you create a shortcut on the user's desktop. Navigate to the folder you installed the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer into, then click on the file and do a right-click drag to drag that file onto the desktop. When you let go of the right mouse button, a menu will pop up. Click Create Shortcuts Here. Press the F2 button to rename the shortcut to RPOWER QB Importer.
When setting up shortcuts, you have the ability to specify the following options:
- for QuickStart. By default, when the importer starts up, it waits 2 minutes before importing a file. This behaviour is purposeful so that if the importer is installed on a laptop with QuickBooks, QuickBooks has the ability to start up before the first import is made. By adding -q to the shortcut, the importer will attempt to import files immediately upon start up.
- to ignore the .running file. By default, the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer will not start up a second importer if another importer is already running. This behaviour was implemented for systems where clients are using Remote Desktop and the chance of multiple importers starting up is high. -r will ignore the .running file.
To add one of these options to a shortcut, right-click the shortcut you just created and click Properties. In the Target textbox, press the right arrow key until you reach the end of the text, press Space, and then type a dash and then option you want. If you want to use more than one option, separate the options with spaces.
Example of using multiple options:
C:\RPOWER.Central\RFX\QBCNX\Importer\RPQBImporter.exe -q -r
Setting Up Email Alerts
The RPOWER QuickBooks Importer has the ability to email multiple email addresess when either an import error occurs, or a store did not import data that day.
To set up Email Alerts, navigate to the directory you installed the importer into (by default :
C:\RPOWER.Central\RFX\QBCNX\Importer). In that folder you will find a QBDataImporter.settings file. Open this file in Notepad.
In the QBDataImporter.settings file, look for
[corp_info] ;the corporation name which is used in emails name=Test
and change the
Test on the
name=Test line to the restaurant/corporate name.
[email] ;use email tells the web site whether to send email. If this value ;is set to 'yes', the web site will read the other settings in this section ;If set to 'no', it will not and email will not be sent. useemail=no
and change the
useemail=no to yes. This will enable Email Alerts.
If you want the email sent to someone other than the default email address, look for
email@example.com. Change the email address there to the one you want the Email Alerts sent to. If you want to send the Email Alerts to more than one email address, you can append addresses to that line by using a |. Example:
Save the file and close it, then restart the RPOWER QuickBooks Importer.